Areas of Work
The Institute for combustion engines (VKA) covers classical engine topics like innovative engine constructions and research and development of new more efficient and clean combustion processes.
Further on topics with more and more rising importance like the virtual engine development, research at the complete powertrain of hybrid powertrain and engine electronics are considered. All this is associated with the ongoing development of intelligent methods for test procedures and engine calibration, e.g. by “Design of Experiment” (DoE).
- Analysis of flow and fuel-mixture generation with experimental and numerical methods. The experimental parts contain special optical measurements
- Optimization of the combustion process, connected with simulations
- Fundamental research for exhaust aftertreatment systems for gasoline and diesel engines in VKA's chemistry and catalyst laboratory and on the engine testbench
- Optimization of combustion processes with regard to alternative fuels, research on optimal synergy effects of fuels and new combustion processes
- Engine construction for series production and implementation of innovative solutions, especially for an increase of the variabilities as varaiable valve trains or variable compression ratios
- Examination and optimization of the acoustical engine and vehicle behavior in experiments and by numerical tools
- Fundamental research and development of fuel cells and hybrid powertrain systems
- Control systems for vehicle powertrains and vehicle calibration